Skip to main content

Rubislaw Quarry

Aberdeen, Scotland, 1741 - 1972
About MeRubislaw Quarry was a site which was developed in the 18th century. Originally owned by the City it was passed on to private hands. The Gibb family successfully exploited it into the 19th century and its grey stone furnished the raw material for many of the city's buildings. By the time the quarry closed in 1972 it was over 400 feet deep which made it spectacular to see but extremely difficult to remove stone from.
Rock Drill Arrangement
Aberdeen, Scotland, founded 1866
Broadford Works Aberdeen, 1842-1864
Broadford Works, 1808 - 2002
Eric Gill
Brighton, England, 1882 - 1940
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Aberdeen, Scotland, 1864 - 1992
Stoneywood Papermill
Aberdeen, Scotland, 1700s - 2022
John Fyfe by John Singer Sargent
Aberdeen, Scotland, 1830 - 1906
Sir John Lavery
Belfast, Northern Ireland, 1856 - 1941
Un Marais Dans Les Landes by Theodore Rousseau
Paris, France, 1812 - 1867
Peterculter, Aberdeen, Scotland, 1893 - 1981
Aberdeen Central School
Aberdeen, Scotland, 1905 - 1969
Mary Garden
Aberdeen, Scotland, 1874 - 1967
colour slide showing the trawler Argo of Pembroke in Aberdeen harbour
trawler, built 1962, not Aberdeen
James Furneaux
Aberdeen, Scotland, 1935 - 2013
William McKay and Sons Limited
City Granite Works, 1906 - 1983
George Cassie & Son Ltd
Aberdeen, Scotland, 1822 - 1982
Grandholm Mills
Aberdeen, Scotland